New York City is the most populous city in the USA. About 8.8 million people live in the metropolis. By contrast, the capital, Washington, D.C., has just under 700,000 inhabitants. In addition to the name New York City, the city is also called the Big Apple, Gotham City or, due to its great diplomatic and economic importance, also the world capital. Where New York City is located and what climate prevails there, you will find out here.
Which state New York City is in?
Where is New York City? What is the Big Apple nickname all about? Read more about the location in New York City and some fun facts.
New York City is located in the southeast of the state of New York.
It belongs to the country of the United States of America.
The exact location of New York City is latitude 40.71 and longitude -74.01.
NYC is one of the best places to visit in the USA. If you are planning a trip here soon, you should check out the best things to do in New York first.
The most important information about the geography of New York City is its location. New York City is located at the southernmost tip of the state of New York on the east coast of the United States of America. The geographical location of New York City can be described with the coordinates 40 degrees 42 minutes north latitude and 74 degrees west longitude. The city is mostly located on islands in the New York Bay, where the Hudson River and the East River flow into the Atlantic Ocean. The center of the city is the island of Manhattan, a pointed rocky tongue between the two rivers. New York is divided into five districts:
- Staten Island
The area of the entire urban area on land is about 780 km2, about 100 km2 smaller than Berlin. The Hudson River, which reaches far into the hinterland and provides a connection to other important waterways, and the location on the Atlantic Ocean have led to the fact that New York City is of great importance in the national and international economy.
Interesting facts about New York
1. The New York location is a first-class location. It is a preferred gateway to the North American continent.
2. The city of New York has a coastline that stretches for 520 miles. Even if you add up the coastlines of Boston, Los Angeles, Miami and San Francisco, NYC’s is still longer.
3. The first capital of the United States of America is actually New York City.
4. The Big Apple is the widely used nickname for New York City.
5. The famous Statue of Liberty in New York is actually a gift from France to the city.
6. It is said that about 800 different languages are spoken in New York City.
7. New York is the city with the most inhabitants in the United States. There are more women than men in NYC.
Is New York City and New York State the same?
Is New York City in 2 states?
Is New York a city or an island?